I’ve been reading a few heavy books lately. It started with Confessions of an Economic Hit Man which reveals how developed countries exploit the undeveloped world for their own gains and how the “global empire” is booming and causing distress to local communities worldwide. From there I started reading The Shock Doctrine – which details the history of torture techniques – meant to ‘shock’ the body and how this has turned into disaster capitalism, with natural/economic/political disasters ‘shocking’ an economy and capitalists profiting off of this.
Needless to say this hasn’t exactly been light reading.
So for a change I needed something a bit simpler. A bit of romance but nothing too too corny or over the top. On The Island seemed perfect. Not exactly carefree reading, as the protagonists get stranded on an uninhabited island after their sea pilot suffers a heart attack, the book is a quick read though and highly enjoyable.
Sometimes a lighter fiction, love story is what you need.
And a lighter quicker meal is the perfect accompaniment.
So I present to you Pad See Ew – quite simply my all time favorite noodle dish. This Thai dish is made with fresh thick rice noodles which are quickly stir fried with a few sauce ingredients and veggies or meat. It’s easy, quick and just melts right in your mouth.
With the few minutes it takes to make Pad See Ew, you’ll be back to your summer (spring?) reading in no time.
- ¾ cup fresh wide rice noodles
- 1 tablespoon smashed and chopped Thai garlic with skin (or regular garlic without skin)
- 1-2 smashed and chopped chilies, to taste
- ¼ cup chopped chicken/meat/tofu/shrimp
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (substitute soy sauce for vegan/vegetarian version)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (gluten free tamari for gluten free version)
- ¼ teaspoon black soy sauce (thick and slightly sweet, substitute with molasses)
- ¼ cup sweet basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 cup kale, in thin slices (optional - add sliced carrots)
- Bring water to a boil in a pot and boil noodles for 30 seconds. Rinse with cold water
- In a wok heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and chilies and lightly stir fry, making sure not to burn the garlic.
- Add chicken/meat/tofu/shrimp and stir fry until cooked through. Add kale and lightly stir fry until slightly wilted.
- Reduce heat to low and add fish sauce, sugar, stir, then add soy sauce and black soy sauce. Mix well. Add noodles and toss until mixed through.
Recipe from Grandma’s Thai Recipes