Quinoa with Eggplant and Roasted Red Peppers

22 Flares 22 Flares ×

Quinoa with Eggplant and Feta

How is it August 21st already? Where has the time gone? How is it possible that I’m turning 24 in only a few days!?!?! When I was younger I used to think that when you turned a certain age you just started to feel that age (or how I  thought you should feel at that age) but now that I’m apparently all grown up I know this isn’t the case at all. Do I really still feel like I’m 17? No definitely not, but I definitely don’t feel almost 24 either. Maybe I could settle on a nice 21 and a half. That could work.

I just remember being younger and thinking 24 was so grown up. I thought for sure I’d be married and pregnant already – though I can happily now say that I am neither. I don’t know if it’s my generation or this is just what happens with everyone. Don’t even get me started on what I used to think about the age of 30. To me that was the real secure age when you had it all figured out and were on your life path. Now I see 30 year olds feeling just as lost in life as college graduates.

I guess this is a good sign though – means I’ve got at least 6 years to figure things out. Though if they fly by like the last 6  years I’ll be 30 in no time…

Enough of the rambling – on to a delicious new recipe. To tell you the truth I actually wasn’t all too excited for this meal. I came up with the idea of it but somewhere in the middle of cooking just lost most of my enthusiasm for it.

Luckily the finished product blew me out of the water and tickled my taste buds. Globe eggplants by the way, if you hadn’t already heard, are excellent and more tender than their darker meaner looking cousins – the standard purple eggplant. Get your hands on some asap!

As for the roasted red peppers, though somewhat slimy looking on their own, when mixed in with quinoa, eggplant and feta they provide a burst of flavor.

If your spice tolerance is low omit the jalepeno – the dish was fine for me but D complained that his mouth was on fire.

Quinoa with Eggplant and Roasted Red Peppers

Quinoa with Eggplant and Roasted Red Peppers

Cook time

A 30 minute vegan and gluten free meal perfect for busy weeknights
Recipe type: Dinner
  • 3 tablespoons oil, divided
  • ½ onion, diced
  • 3 globe eggplants, quartered lengthwise and then chopped ½-1 inch thick
  • 3 cloves garlic, diced, divided
  • 1 small jalapeno, diced (seeds removed)
  • 1 splash balsamic vinegar
  • ½ cup sliced roasted red peppers
  • ½ cup feta (omit for vegan version)
  • 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
  • 1½ cups chicken or vegetable broth
  1. In a pot heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and add quinoa and garlic. Cook stirring occasionally for a few minutes. Add broth, turn heat to high until it comes to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, covered for 15-20 minutes, or until water is absorbed.
  2. In a pan heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook for a few minutes then add eggplant. Add another tablespoon of olive oil and salt and pepper. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes. Add 2 cloves chopped garlic, balsamic vinegar and the jalapeno. Cook for a few minutes, then remove from heat.
  3. Serve over quinoa with roasted red peppers and feta (omit for vegan version)

22 Flares Pin It Share 1 Twitter 0 Facebook 15 Google+ 3 Reddit 1 StumbleUpon 2 Buffer 0 22 Flares ×

Comments

1. says

This looks phenom! In the past year I started cooking more with Eggplant and it is now one of my favorite stapes. Tony and I love using quinoa too, since its a great source of vegetarian protein. I am definitely making this when I return home!

Thanks! Have you tried globe eggplants before? They’re so good! Yes quinoa has become one of my favorite too – I usually cook with it at least once a week if not more. The first time I made it I didn’t like it too much but it’s really grown on me and I’ve found that toasting it with garlic in olive oil before adding the water really helps bring out more flavors! Hope you enjoy this recipe!

• says

No I haven’t. I’ll be sure to give it a try. The one thing with traveling around is that its hard to find some of the staples you loved from home – I miss spaghetti squash, sweet potatoes, quinoa, greek yogurt, etc…. And most of all, my kitchen and Vitamix blender! But you also find some great substitutes on the road as well :-)

I think most of all I will definitely miss being able to cook while we are traveling. I absolutely love to cook and literally make dinners and lunches every single day so I think it will be hard to get used to eating out all the time. Also my kitchen is always fully stocked so I’m used to being able to whip something up or find a snack whenever I want so that will be different too when we are abroad. Hoping all the delicious foods in Asia make up for this!

• says

Having a kitchen is what I miss the most… And having disposable income to shop till I drop at Whole Foods! Some places we stay at on the road have kitchens, but it isn’t the same as cooking in your fully-stocked kitchen back home. Plus, so many ingredients are hard to find abroad. I just signed up for Pinterest this year and seeing all the wonderful recipes online is such a tease!

Yes I will definitely miss shopping at Whole Foods (where I’ll be walking over to today on my lunch break for prosciutto and figs to make a cream cheese stuffed prosciutto wrapped fig appetizer with a balsamic glaze). Pinterest definitely has way too many drool worth photos — another food photo site that I love is foodgawker.com where bloggers submit photos of food/recipes and the thumbnails link to the post itself.

2. says

Mmm, this looks delicious! Full of vegetables, yum.

I know what you mean about getting older. When I was young I had such a clear idea about what my twenties would be like, and I’m quite pleased that it’s turned out differently!

Yes definitely quite pleased as well but it is kind of crazy to think about because I clearly remember what I thought I would be like and feel at the age of 24 and I know I don’t feel that way now that I’ve actually reached 24!

3. says

What a great quinoa dish! I love the colors, the ingredients, the photos. All of it! Just beautiful. And I totally agree with you about being 24. I just turned 24 this month and I used to feel like that was so old, but now I’m realizing we’re still young and have our whole lives ahead of us. Now it’s just time to enjoy life and have a happy rest of the summer :)

Thanks! Happy belated birthday to you too then! Completely agree that we just need to focus on still being young and that there’s still plenty of time to live out our dreams!

4. says

I made this last night – and it was delicious! My husband love it! The only thing I changed was the oil – I’m allergic to olive oil. I used organic coconut oil. I would lesson the oil next time. This is such an easy dish to make – this one is going in the cookbook! Thank you!

Thanks so much! So glad you liked it! I’ve been traveling through Asia for the last 7 months and have seriously been missing quinoa! Can’t find it anywhere!