Ever feel too lazy to make dinner? Well this rarely happens to me but every now and then I just don’t feel like making a full fledged meal. The joys of being able to cook allow me this luxury. I can make whatever I want and so when I feel like making a turkey and roasted red pepper panini for dinner I make it happen.
I really don’t eat bread often. To be honest I only eat it when I’m on vacation (weekend getaways count) or hung over. Any other time I just rationalize that the added calories are not worth it. On this day though, (following Julia Robert’s mentality in Eat Pray Love) I was sick of the calorie counting, self-punishing behavior and just decided to have sandwiches for dinner.
You’ve just got to treat yourself sometimes right?
No panini maker? Not a problem. Just place the sandwich in a grill pan and top it with an incredibly heavy object – if you’ve got a cast iron pan or dutch oven that’ll be perfect. Flip it over and do the same thing. Ta-da – paninis are ready.
As for the filling – I just went with what I had in the fridge but as with everything else cooking related the possibilities are endless.
I fully enjoyed this panini. Want proof? Well D could only muster himself out of a nap to eat half his sandwich so while he went back to snoozing I ate the other half (as well as my own full panini).
Now I remember why I limit my bread eating to only vacation or hang over days – because there just isn’t any self control over here.
What’s your favorite panini? Any suggestions for what to add to my next one?
- 2 large piece focaccia, cut in half (use gluten free bread for gluten free version)
- ¼ pound turkey cold cuts
- ¼ cup roasted red peppers
- ½ tomato, sliced
- 2-4 tablespoons basil pesto
- 2 ounces pepper jack cheese, thinly sliced
- Spread pesto on each piece of bread. Split up topping between both sandwiches and layer them on top of the bottom bread piece. Top with other bread piece.
- Heat grill pan over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add sandwiches and place large heavy pan on top (dutch oven is perfect). Cook for several minutes.
- Flip over and repeat. Serve hot!